Just 20 minutes from Elouera Tower at Tanawha is the magnificent Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Garden. You’ll experience everything from eucalypt open forest, dense rainforest and gullies filled with palms through to lagoons and curated garden areas. Covering more than 82 hectares, why not pack a picnic and spend the day discovering the flora and fauna that are endemic to the Sunshine Coast region, all in the one area?
There are several walks in the gardens that showcase the diversity of animals and plants that call this garden home. Several self-guided walks well worth exploring include:
- Sculpture Garden walk (900m: takes 35-50 mins) – if you love sculpture then spend some time wandering through this area of the park where you will discover more than 20 tonnes of stone sculptures produced by 8 artists, which are set within the garden and manicured lawn area.
- Lagoon walk (900m: takes 25-35 mins) – this is one of the most popular walks which follows the banks of a lagoon through natural bush with its towering tree ferns, Piccabeen Palms and open forest trees.
- Creek walk (approx. 1.4km: takes 30-40 mins) – feeling a little energetic then take this bushwalk which tracks through remnant rainforest and then through eucalypt forest. It’s not uncommon to spot one of the resident koalas snoozing in the trees on this walk. You’ll need some bushwalking experience to really enjoy this walk.
- Fern Glade walk (900m: takes 25-35 mins) – escape the heat of the day and enjoy the cooling effects of palms and ferns whilst you enjoy waterfalls and bubbling brooks.
- Mossy Log walk (110m: takes 10 mins) – located just off Fern Glade walk you can see a giant fallen tree completely covered in moss and other fungi and ferns.
- Upland bushwalk (approx. 2km: takes 45-60 mins) – this is the most vigorous of the walks as it starts from Creek walk and then passes through several different vegetation zones as you cross three creeks. If it’s been raining there’s a small waterfall at the rock pool creek crossing.
- Whipbird walk (700m: takes 25-35 mins) – kids will love this adventure walk as they discover the many insects and animals that call this area home. Listen out for the call of the whipbirds!
- Ephemeral Wetland walk (400m loop: takes 10-20 mins) – this short walk takes you along a creek bed with its rainforest vegetation. See if you can spot the endangered Swamp Orchid which can be found amongst the shade.
If you do bring a picnic there are lots of beautiful areas in the gardens where you can either throw down a rug or make use of the picnic tables and six large picnic shelters with tables and chairs. BBQ facilities are not available however you can bring your own portable BBQ if you wish. As rubbish bins are not provided in the gardens all rubbish must be taken away with you.
Alternatively grab some refreshments from the Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Garden Café, which is open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 2.30pm and is located within the Arts and Ecology Centre building.
The Arts and Ecology Centre is a specialised arts and ecology interpretative centre and is a hub for a variety of activities such as exhibitions, artist in residencies, educational events and informative displays that connect directly with nature to enable a better understanding of the environment and the importance of biodiversity.
While in the Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Gardens be sure to keep an eye for the fauna that habitats the gardens, including frogs, reptiles, birds and butterflies, as well as mammals such as Koala, Sugar Gliders and Common Ringtail Possum.
You can find the Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Garden on Palm Creek Road, Tanawha, beside the Tanawha Golf Course. Opening hours are from 7.00am to 5.00pm (April to October) and 7.00am to 6.00pm (November to March).
The Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Garden provide an excellent environment for hosting an event, such as weddings, but you will need to apply for a permit.
Sunshine Coast accommodation
Book your Maroochydore Sunshine Coast accommodation staying with us here at Elouera Tower where you’ll be perfectly located to explore all that the Sunshine Coast has to offer from coast to hinterland.
Choose from 1, 2 and 3 bedroom fully-self contained holiday apartments as well as a 3 bedroom penthouse for the ultimate stay. Onsite our guests have access to our outdoor heated pool and spa, sauna, full size tennis court and more.